Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tam
    replied
    Boy I can’t wait to get there you have been getting blasted with rain . 3 weeks

Leave a comment:

• silvereel
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry for the late response, just wanted to say thanks (to both of you). Definitely Swift Creek. Exciting find, I've gone back and found a few more pieces, although most are undecorated. Very cool site that seems to reveal more with every rain.

• Tam
    replied
    Jethro , your the king of the pottery fields . You already had it I didn’t see your other post .

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    commented on 's reply
    🕺tam knows this Georgia stuff...

• Tam
    replied
    Ok I just found this .
    thats classic Swiftcreek .
    you can go to peach tree Archeology

Leave a comment:

• silvereel
    commented on 's reply
    Going down the rabbit hole is much appreciated.

• Jethro355
    commented on 's reply
    I ran down a rabbit hole on that link.😳

• Jethro355
    commented on 's reply
    The etowah complicated stamped is probably closer as far as distribution, and the types sorta overlap form-wise...

• silvereel
    replied
    Appreciate the help! I had also seen some Mississippian pottery that looked similar, but I wasn’t sure considering it was in the rock shelter. I guess they would still have used such a location when hunting etc though.

The Crooked River looks just like it. The geographic range they give is North Florida and South Georgia though, so a long ways from where it was found. But the people staying here got around. I’ve found lots of flakes from non-native chert that had to have come from a hundred miles or more away.

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    replied
    Sorry for highjacking your thread....I get excited about pottery.

theres a good link to learn a bit about your local stuff...

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    replied
    And I may have found it...
    might be a sherd of “crooked river stamped”...

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    replied
    This is actually what I would call a transitional piece, woodland to early Mississippian....but the construction is similar. The woodland did not have the knowledge of the shell tempering that was learned by later peoples. I have found some woodland pieces 3/4” thick, but most average around 1/2”, like this one. The “stamped” appearance is more of a cross hatched functional appliqué, not so much a design like you would see in later pieces such as what you have there. Sorry, this piece doesn’t have any stamped sections, but this weekend I’ll pick some up and post some pics. I’ve got to get some to send to Ron and Tam anyway....and I’m finally getting a chance to go gathering.

Leave a comment:

• Jethro355
    replied
    I don’t think that’s woodland stamped. It looks way more modern than that. Not like white people modern, but since I’m not familiar with the tribal history of that region, I can’t say for sure. If it were here I’d call it middle to late Mississippian or maybe early Quapaw.
    woodland stamped is way more random and less geometric. I’ve got some woodland slabs out in my shop but it’s dark and cold or I would go get one and post a pic for you...
    awe hell. I’m Going to anyway. Be back in a few.....

Leave a comment:

• silvereel
    started a topic Woodland Stamped Shard?

Woodland Stamped Shard?

I know next to nothing about pottery, but I came across this in a wash near a rock shelter in Northeast Georgia earlier today while looking for points. I’ve found a lot of flakes and broken points that I figured for Archaic there, but this looks like Woodland pottery, probably stamped. Does anyone know enough to give a firmer date or assign a type for it, or at least point me towards a resource for learning more? Very exciting find for me!

Working...
X