Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper tools. Authentic. Seeking knowledge

I'd love to answer all your questions on these, as best as I can,
    I'm asking for a dear friend who doesn't know how to use computers.
    Can anyone help us with finding out what these tools are? Fair value? Anything else about them?
    What I know is they're pure copper from somewhere in the BC time line.
    We have asked local "experts" about them, but haven't gotten much from them.
    I'll post better pictures in a few hours when I have them, and measurements, and whereabouts they were found.
    I know they were found 50+ years ago someplace kind of by northernish Lake Superior
    They were obtained legally. I seem to have to say that or people ask..
    I'll have more details soon. Any words/questions are welcome

Thank you.

Your friend has a nice collection - looks like a tanged knife, spear points, and arrowhead (?). The largest pieces are probably adze blades.

Lots of good info here:
    Artifacts of the Old Copper Complex or Old Copper Culture. Ancient copper mines of the Lake Superior Region.

Provided by CMD in this thread ~
    https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...e-34-arrowhead

Metal Items & Trade Goods (from the forums info. center)

Last edited by Olden; 11-26-2018, 05:03 AM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Those are definitely Copper Culture artifacts.
      It is a shame that they were cleaned, I clean all of my metal detecting finds. BUT none of mine are 5000 to 10000 years old.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Copper Is cool those are awesome tools
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Interesting to see them. We don’t get too many here to look at.
          PS. We don’t discuss market value here, but hopefully you get all your other answers. Thanks for sharing
          South Dakota

Comment

They have good patina ... I seem to remember a native copper culture that lived around the Great Lakes..It was a great read but it’s been a long time since I read it....
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              I should of watched the vid Olden had posted before my comment..Maybe my memory is still working a little !

Thank you, Olden . Helps a ton!
            SDhunter Sorry I probably should have known.
            2ndoldman They were not cleaned. They were found in this condition on the shore of island, in the water. Northern MN.

and thank you to everyone else. Here's some more pictures for you to enjoy. can only upload 8 at a time. I'll select random pictures to show, sorry if they're kinda blurry, a close friend is holding them and he/she took the pictures. :]

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

By the way those "white squares" are from tape. It should come off very easily, but we're not sure what's safe to use to clean them. Advice with source on that would be very helpful. He described it as "freezer tape"

Comment

The packaging posted in the first picture gives the name of a great source of information. The Science Museum of Minnesota has an amazing collection of ancient copper from Minnesota.

Most of it looks like Archaic copper, but the longer, well made flared celt/spud looks more Hopewell to me. The Mississippian peoples also made them, but theirs tend to be a bit more squared with more pronounced flares. The Etowah mound produced a bunch.
                          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

clovisoid I'd love to go to a museum but I'm a very far drive from here to go get the objects. The celts were found in the same spot as the other tools, which makes me assume they're from the same time. Unless someone from the hardwell period randomly left it on top of older materials? From what i understand they were all sort of in the same spot right off shore. No metal detectors. Probably felt it with his foot and started running his hands through the sand/mud.
                            Do you think the 2 items would just be in the same spot? Seems odd to me, at least.

Comment

Working...
                            X