No announcement yet.

Still on the Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still didn't finish the creek I have to work early tomorrow and a long day. I did find a crude chopper but left it might find it again and decide to keep it
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Crude chopper Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210416_153727.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	548753
      NW Georgia,

Comment

That corner notch is a beauty!!!
        North Carolina

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks I just don't find many like it. My exact words were when I saw it was. Oh Wow!!

You had a great day SH! Really like the material on the first!
        South Carolina

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Josie it's a common color for this area but I never get tired of finding it

Hi Glenn. At first glance I thought you got a dandy Kirk Corner Notch. But on closer examination I think you got a Decatur because of the indented base and what looks to be "struck" ends of the base and what looks to be opposite side beveling as typical on Lost Lakes and Dovetails. Decaturs are much rarer to find than Kirks. I believe your point was used as a knife because of its size. The people that made Decaturs used the same style for knives and dart points. A great score for sure. Your photos are great, too.
        Last edited by sailorjoe; 04-16-2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
          Hi Glenn. At first glance I thought you got a dandy Kirk Corner Notch. But on closer examination I think you got a Decatur because of the indented base and what looks to be "struck" ends of the base and what looks to be opposite side beveling as typical on Lost Lakes and Dovetails. Decaturs are much rarer to find than Kirks. I believe your point was used as a knife because of its size. The people that made Decaturs used the same style for knives and dart points. A great score for sure. Your photos are great, too.
          Thanks Joe I will look that up later tonight. Base is very different
          NW Georgia,

Comment

That’s corner notch is absolutely beautiful congratulations and great pictures. Those geese can be quite bossy while on their nests.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes the goose was giving me the stink eye as I walked by. I was attacked by a big goose when I was a child. I admire them from a distance now days

Wow Glenn that's the black beauty. Congrats man .. u had a stellar day. Nice finds...pottery too!? Nice pics looks beautiful. Go back there soon!
            SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              2 different creeks but I will get back. First creek doesn't drain off fast so might be a while. Other creek probably next week. That is where I found all the rest. I think I might have the other half of the big blade I just have to find it. Thanks Red

Awesome day out, love that corner notch!!

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe its going to be the center piece for my 2021 frame. I will wash it tomorrow and post the clean version

looks like a good time nice stuff.
            Utah

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              The finds were a popping thats for sure. I didn't even post all the broken point pieces. Thanks

So here is the cleanest it's going to be. Sometimes I have scrubbed a point and the dirt is actually holding them together so I don't scrub hard now. Base is grounded last picture Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210418_131609.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	549120Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210418_131546.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	549121Click image for larger version

Name:	20210418_131656.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	549122
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Very nice point surface....you had a great day for sure man.....nice finds
              Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Benji it was fun still getting leg cramps tonight. It's all fun until the pain comes but I will still do it again. When are you going?

• Benji
                Benji commented
                Editing a comment
                Soon i hope surface, April hasnt been a very good month for me in regards to the hunt and having time to do it.

I had a little turtle like that as a kid, kept it for a couple of years, painted a dot on its shell, set it free in a lake across the street, kept feeding it..I’d see it every now an then for several years
              Floridaboy.

Comment

I was walking and flipping rocks and saw the color then realized what it was. I had one to as a child that bowl got super smelly when not washed. Don't worry I set it downstream so I wouldn't step on it and so a bird couldn't get it.
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Not sure how I missed this epic thread. What a great hunt! Black beauty is a centerfold. Great pics too. Felt like tagging along.
                  California

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                    SurfaceHunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Tom I haven't been back out since. I got a new position at work and it's longer days maybe next week I can squeeze in a hunt.
                Working...
                X