No announcement yet.

Fake and Reproduction area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering the difficulty we still have properly dating lithics, I feel that the issue of buying fraudulent pieces is one that is not likely to go away, and really doesn't stem from people knapping in modern times.  I personally don't put forward much money at all towards pieces on the internet.  It's a gamble every time, unless you personally saw it come out of the ground, you can never be 100% sure. 
    I used to collect Egyptian artifacts, and I ended up buying a few pieces that were not as they seemed.  One particular piece was a ushabti figure (that is to say, funeral figure used in the afterlife as a servant to the spirit), that is often sold as a piece dating to around 600BC, but in actuality is a 19th century tourist piece.  The Egyptian artifact trade is absolutely flooded with these pieces, along with fraudulent Wadjet Eyes, Ankhs, scarabs, etc.  To have the truth, I sought out the biggest museum with an Egyptian collection and Egyptologist on hand that I could find.  Had my entire collection properly appraised and i have the notes from that in my files. 
    I learned some valuable lessons from those days, BUYER BEWARE.

Comment

Working...
    X