No announcement yet.

collecting since I was about 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Den, Welcome to the forum. I like your artifacts and displays. That carving is awesome.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Welcome from NW Arkansas
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

Welcome, Den, from SE VA.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome Aboard Den - also from Tennessee. Glad you joined our website cause we'd have missed a beautiful post. You're right about your neighbor being talented - that is an awesome carving and very lifelike. I really like that hoe - any idea what the material is that it's made from. I'd really like to see your collection up close but that would require individual pics of each but I'd especially like to see that triangle in your last pic. That thing looks great. Again, thanks for joining - we're glad to have ya aboard.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Velcom!!!! Arrowheads. Com👍

Nice colection, and I love that hoe.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome Den!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I took some new pictures of what I believe is a dagger. I hope they show enough detail. BTW I weighed it and it's close to 2 pounds.

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks to me like an old railroad spike.

Hi Scorpian68, I don't know the material that the hoe was made from. All I know is that pressure flaking took off big pieces of stone. I wish I could get a good picture of the triangle. It is just that - a perfect triangle with 3 sharp points.

Comment

Still not sure were you are located, wich would be meanigfull info if you want to get your points identified later on. The metal piece does look hammered into shape, I once had a chat with a very knowledgable dealer about a hammered piece of steel I found in a rock shelter in Ky along with several historic era points and he explained that NA's would steal, trade for and scavenge steel items to beat into arrow points and knives. Of course proving that's what a found steel item is would take a deep understanding of Context and could be nearly impossible to prove without that context. It could simply be an old tool. Its really hard to say with certainty.
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

When I was a kid, I grew up near Hollidaysburg, PA which is near Altoona. Now I live in Jersey Shore, PA which is near Williamsport. I wish you could feel that piece of iron in your hand. The fit is no accident. It was suggested to me one time that NA's got iron sometimes from meteors.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                      sailorjoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Dan, If it is native American, it is a trade item or something they remade out of something else. Please don't get swept up into some kind of illusion or some Ancient Aliens BS that the natives in North America were basically not advanced farther than the stone age.

Hi Den. I want to add my belated welcome to our forum. It is a very interesting first post that you are offering us. I won't comment on all those several objects, only as to the Native American artifacts that I think I see displayed on the reddish looking board. I believe them to be all authentic. I also think that a few of them represent some Early Archaic forms ( perhaps over 7.000 years ago or more). Not knowing where these rocks were collected then I don't think I can say more. Having said that, I see lithic that I sometimes found in north Alabama (what appears to be Ft. Payne chert, a Bangor flint that is often as black as obsidian, and a red jasper. That is all I can provide lacking no more info than you provided.

Comment

Thank you sailorjoe. All of the artifacts on the piece of oak were found near Hollidaysburg, PA.

Comment

I took another picture of my collection from Hollidaysburg, PA. The black and white arrowhead is a little unusual, I think. I have seen others with similar shape but that black and white rock? To the left of the quarter is an arrowhead that is pure black and another that is blood red. I don't think those rocks are from PA.

Comment

A note to the moderators. Should I start a new thread in another board? You have a lot and I would like to see some replies.

Comment

Yes it would be good to start a new thread Den. These pictures will get lost in this thread due to it's age mostly. A new thread will allow you to introduce your finds to many other members here.
                            Some nice points in that pic.
                            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                            X