No announcement yet.

Mountain Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The less animals are hunted the more dangerous they become. We had a big wolf in the yard staring at my hound pens. We had a bitch in season. One evening my Plott hounds wouldn't shut up so I went out to quiet them: A bear had his nose right up to the fence.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that you have Plott hounds Ron. It's the NC state dog. Johannes Plott the name origin of the Plott hounds homestead is very close to me. There is also a very local projectile point here in WNC called a Plott short Stemmed named after the Plott family. Great dogs!

My Daughters Father In Law was one of two certified Mountain Lion Hunter for Nevada State Fish wildlife for 25 years. He’s Retired. Still has 3 of his Dogs and occasionally gets a call and uses his Dogs and years of experience to help Rural ranchers with the Problem. Crazy California doesn’t permit Lion hunting and folks are left to deal with it. There’s a documented small pack of Wolves in Siskiou County CA now. California has Wolves on the protected Status as well. It’s gonna be interesting to watch as the Wolf population grows and they Expand their territory.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      In California they even protect wild hogs. How crazy is that?

Originally posted by Sage hen jack View Post
    My Daughters Father In Law was one of two certified Mountain Lion Hunter for Nevada State Fish wildlife for 25 years. He’s Retired. Still has 3 of his Dogs and occasionally gets a call and uses his Dogs and years of experience to help Rural ranchers with the Problem. Crazy California doesn’t permit Lion hunting and folks are left to deal with it. There’s a documented small pack of Wolves in Siskiou County CA now. California has Wolves on the protected Status as well. It’s gonna be interesting to watch as the Wolf population grows and they Expand their territory.
    I had the state licensed trapper kill three mountain lions on my place a few years ago . They only took DNA samples and left the rest . You can obtain a depredation permit if you make enough phone calls but the lion will be in the next county by the time you get one .

Comment

Those mountain lions are no joke in Cal . Let’s face it they still rule and we have taken over their home . We use to have one in Malibu canyon when I was a kid . He would take out the cattle . I was thinking of getting goats for weed control in Georgia but we just have yotes and bobcats . It would break my heart .

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
        Those mountain lions are no joke in Cal . Let’s face it they still rule and we have taken over their home . We use to have one in Malibu canyon when I was a kid . He would take out the cattle . I was thinking of getting goats for weed control in Georgia but we just have yotes and bobcats . It would break my heart .
        We have had goats out free ranging for years and lose a few to mountain lions . Nothing else seems to bother them so far so good with the cattle and calves . The calves have been getting though the fences and away from the herd called the owner over in Nevada . Those calves are easy prey on the loose and right next to heavy cover .

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Someone said and this is sad get donkeys for the hit or they can protect .

Sorry to hear of your troubles Dennis, I hope this cat doesn't become a persistent visitor and the fact he didn't get to eat might help that I would think.
        ​​​​​​I came across this article about the appetite of one Cougar that was monitored over an extended period. I was really surprised to see how much meat it takes to sustain one full grown cat through that amount of time and also the fact that Bull elk was on the menu!
        ​​​​​​
        For The Win: This cougar's diet might surprise you.
        Researchers in Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico, have been studying the predation habits of a GPS-collared mountain lion and the results are somewhat surprising. The mountain lion, a male nicknamed Bro…

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
        X