• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:

im not a pro football fan by any means of the word "fan"
    however i do believe that the QB had to know the balls were low on air
    even if he didnt know that some one was deflating them
    you cant tell me someone who has handled and thrown as many footballs in his lifetime as a pro QB
    that he cant tell by the feel of the ball the differance in a filled ball to one with low air pressure
    i spent 25 yrs as an auto tech, i can look at a car tire and tell if its low on air when most average folks have no clue that it is
    jmho
      I hear you, but apparently each team uses their own balls on offense :dunno:
    Rhode Island

Comment

I thought Berman's piece reflected my own reaction. But here's a real flip side. Not a "two wrongs make a right" sense, however, but more in an "everybody messes with the ball" sense.
      Matt Leinart        ✔ @MattLeinartQB
      Follow
      Every team tampers with the footballs. Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!
      11:51 AM - 21 Jan 2015
      6,963 RETWEETS  3,577 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite
      Jeff Passan        ✔ @JeffPassan
      Follow
      From sound of it, DeflateGate is a lot like pitchers using sunscreen to get a better grip on balls. Everyone does it. No one really cares.
      10:40 AM - 21 Jan 2015
      469 RETWEETS  284 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

By Braden Campbell
      Boston.com Staff | 01.21.15 | 3:56 PM
      This was supposed to be the warm-up for the victory lap.
      For eight years, Patriots fans had endured suggestions of tainted championships. But this year’s would be clean, the team’s worst transgression its simply being that much smarter than everyone else. This was a Super Bowl berth earned on the strength of an all-time coaching job from the Patriots brain trust and an aging quarterback willing his pumpkin to remain a carriage for one more season.
      Fine them. Take a draft pick. Void the Super Bowl berth. Get that dastardly Bill Belicheat out of the league.
      That harshest suggestion comes courtesy of Indianapolis-area sports columnist Bob Kravitz, who has led the charge against Belichick since breaking Deflategate on Sunday night. Make no mistake—that allegiance is no coincidence. As the ostensible “victims” of Deflategate, the Colts are justified in their outrage. But it’s likewise become the latest talking point in the prevailing, Spygate-fueled narrative of the Patriots’ win-at-all-costs philosophy.
      They stole signals, you see, and have you heard Aaron Hernandez was charged with murder? Now, this.
      The simple fact is, if this weren’t the Patriots, it wouldn’t be an issue. Tampering with the football NFL equivalent of speeding: everyone does it, and they only get burned when they do it too recklessly or in too fast a car. And the Patriots drive the hottest rod in the league.
      Take Aaron Rodgers, who in November was subject to fawning by CBS commentators over his practice of overinflating his footballs. Or Eli Manning, whose months-long process of choosing and preparing his footballs was detailed two years ago by the New York Times.
      Earlier this season, during a particularly cold game, Panthers sideline attendants were caught warming balls on the sidelines in open defiance of rules prohibiting this. Their punishment? A reminder not to do it again. And this morning, reports surfaced that former Buccaneers quarterback Brad Johnson admitted to paying bribes to have his footballs doctored before Super Bowl XXXVII— a contest his team won.
      Last year, former Steelers coach and frequent Patriots punching bag Bill Cowher claimed the Patriots were scapegoated when they were fined their top draft pick in Spygate’s wake.
      In this, as they were eight years ago, the Patriots are the victims of their own success.
      In terms of game impact, the use of a deflated ball is negligible. Sure, it allows for a slightly better grip and easier catch. But consider this: the ball that kicked off the controversy was put in the Colts’ hands via Tom Brady’s sole thrown interception — his worst pass of the game. Nevermind the Patriots’ out-scoring the Colts 21-0 in the third quarter, after the bad balls were swapped out.
      The Patriots are, by virtue of their perennial greatness and the perceived taint of Spygate, always going to be under more scrutiny than other franchises. They’re a red Ferrari in a speed trap, while everyone else might as well drive a Prius. It’s a bumpy ride, but isn’t it fun?
      Rhode Island

Comment

ive done a little research on NFL footballs
        the league sends each team "x" number of balls before the game
        they are allowed to "break them in"
        the league does set limitations as to how much can be done to them
        but some QB's like a tacky ball some like a slick ball
        the league also allows each team to set the air pressure in the ball
        but the league sets a max/min air pressure setting
        each team also gets balls that are strictlty for use in the kicking game
        these balls are designated with the letter "k" on the ball

Comment

I'm just blowed away by this! Why in the hell is this taking so long? This is BS.Why aren't the Patriots talking to their fans.I can't believe that their organization would allow this to happen.Everybody would have had to known.Am I to believe they are all liars and cheats I don't think so....we shall see..mjm

Comment

Cheating is just wrong, no matter what form.
            Pro football, large corporations placing money offshore, large banks with rules that either do or don't apply to them, politicians that vote for their wallet, not their constituents. The list goes on and we as a society turn a blind eye and condone it.
            Take the Raiders opportunity to play in the super bowl away and just maybe there will be less cheating.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Wow had to look that one up!  "malfeasance"  it almost rhymes with wrong doing. Well Wrong doing must be harder to spell I better check with Chase!
              Charl I never liked the Pats but I feel for you and all the Pats fans out there. this is disgraceful.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

the only pro sport i follow is NASCAR
                in NASCAR if you cheat and get caught(and you will get caught) they penalize the team drastically
                even if you have made it into the play offs(known as the CHASE )
                the driver/team will lose points,along with the team owner,not to mention the fines,and team members and even drivers can and will be suspended
                they fine in huge dollar amounts
                one team last season had a disagreement with another team in the pit area
                the disagreement turned into a fight(brawl actually)
                team members were suspended,some are not allowed at race tracks ever again,the fines for the few that were fined totaled over 250k
                keep in mind the crew guys dont make millions a year,they may make 100k a year
                they do not take cheating lightly,nor will they put up with it at all

Comment

I will never make an excuse for a person who cheats but...
                  Everyone knows that temperature greatly affects pressure. The higher the temperature the higher the pressure. As the temperature falls the pressure falls. A possible scenario would be that the footballs were deflated to the lower limit and then the temperature of the balls fell thus lowering the pressure to an unacceptable pressure.  :dunno:
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:

I will never make an excuse for a person who cheats but...
                    Everyone knows that temperature greatly affects pressure. The higher the temperature the higher the pressure. As the temperature falls the pressure falls. A possible scenario would be that the footballs were deflated to the lower limit and then the temperature of the balls fell thus lowering the pressure to an unacceptable pressure.  :dunno:
                      Yeah, I hear you, Ron, and just watched Belichick's press conference, in which everyone is saying he threw Brady under the bus, :rolf: , and so gotta watch Brady's press conference at 4 PM today :blink:  :dunno:
                    He did throw Brady under the bus, but I'm sure Brady's got it all covered. At the same time, despite my own tirade, and the moral sanctimony of Berman's article, I would like to see the "all quarterbacks are extremely particular about their balls" brought out much more. Not to make wrongs somehow seem right, but to admit this actually is, to some degree, more about the Patriots then air in footballs.  I know one of the criticisms spoke of "this had a significant impact". How?? How could it when the Patriots blew them out of Gillette Stadium using fully inflated balls in the 2nd half? Keep it real. It's about breaking a rule, it most certainly did not have a significant impact at all.
                    Yeah I guess because it was 52 degrees at game time, you would not expect that much air to be lost :dunno:
                    Rhode Island

Comment

Congrats to all the Patriots fans. That was an exciting Super Bowl. It was fun to watch.
                      Michigan Yooper

Comment

Can't believe they didn't punch it in with Lynch.  They had three tries,  and everyone knows you will never stop him three times from that distance.  Patriots got lucky the seahawks blew the call.    Imho.    I'm a Viking fan,  so  didn't really care anyway.
                        South Dakota

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

Can't believe they didn't punch it in with Lynch.  They had three tries,  and everyone knows you will never stop him three times from that distance.  Patriots got lucky the seahawks blew the call.    Imho.    I'm a Viking fan,  so  didn't really care anyway.
                          I totally agree Gary.
                          Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ah yes. Nothing says fall/winter football than Palm trees, an air conditioned arena, and a giant mechanical whatever-that-was. 
                            Can't cry too hard for the losers: they each get $57000 as a conciliation prize. Sorry guys, this like so many pro sports, is no longer a "sport"; it's all big business. I stopped watching pro-anything years go because of it. Even the Olympics is tainted. And Lance Armstrong says he would do it all over again if given the chance! What a great message we are sending our kids -and- grandkids.   
                            Take them point hunting!!!
                            Child of the tides

Comment

Well, yep, it's a business alright, and not sure I'd want my kid playing for a concussion, but then last night comes along and they decide to give us one of the greatest of all games and all Super Bowls. From a Pats fan perspective it went from "OMG, it's the Giants loss all over again, this can't be happening" to "OMG, did he just intercept that pass? OMG, he intercepted the pass!!!"
                              I'm reasonable sure what I saw last night was a sport!! :rolf:  In fact, I'm reasonable sure it was the best Super Bowl I ever saw. I just don't know who to thank more: Pete Carrol or Malcolm Butler! Lol.  And yes, the Pats were lucky beyond their lucky stars to benefit from perhaps the all time dumbest call in Super Ball history. But, the Seahawks could not stop Brady from scoring 14 in the 4th quarter. And the Pats were not lucky. They scored and went ahead because Brady demonstrated in the. 4th quarter that he is the greatest quarterback of all time. He has won 4 in the age of free agency. He won 4 regardless of who his receivers were. Luck had nothing to do with the 4th quarter and the Patriots taking the lead. All that said, the Pats sure are lucky
                              Rhode Island

Comment

Man o man...When  kearse caught that pass on his back I had a feeling that it was Seattle's destiny to win.Then  my girl Lady Luck showed up and the rest is history.I sat there completely speechless I could barely process what had happened.An amazing game.That with school being called today I got one happy son.Excuse me but I just can't resist.....whose balls are deflated now?..Go pats!...mjm

Comment

Working...
                                X