Arrowheads from my Great Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowheads from my Great Grandfather

I will post current pictures when I return home.
    I have had these arrowheads since I was a boy. They were given to me by my Great Grandfather. I was hoping someone could tell me what types they are. Also, if these are valuable enough to get insured.
    I had been searching for years for a magazine article I remember as a 10 year old which told the story of how I got them. Well, I found it today! see pdf attachment from the Ohio Archaeologist Journal. One article is from 1956, that shows a picture of them, the second article is from 1983 and tells the story of where -and- how they were found and that they were given to me. pretty cool! :-)
    any guidance is appreciated.
    Chris
    OHIO_ARCHAEOLOGIST_06_2_APRIL_1956.pdf
      OHIO_ARCHAEOLOGIST_33_3_SUMMER_1983.pdf

Very interesting articles there not sure why the PDF.s did not load but I encourage  everyone to click the links. As far as value it is an heirloom and its sentimental value will never be matched by a dollar figure. You have provenance and that is very important to hold onto that information for future generations.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

OH WOW, will be watching for pics later! Some good size/quality artifacts!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Cant wait to see the pics.. lov seeing what the old timers found..thanks for sharing..
        My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Comment

Hey Chris,  :welcome: From Michigan U.P. Glad you could join us.
          That collection is a great heirloom from your Great Grand Father.
          I will be watching and will love to see some individual shots.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum! You have a wonderful collection and it so great to have the family history and story behind them,  As far as telling you types, indiviual pictures would aid greatly with that. Thank you for sharing your wonderful collection and story with us.

Comment

Here are a few pics. Any name or types of arrowheads is appreciated

Comment

Thanks for the show and love the provenance that goes with them. What a great gift from your Great Grandfather. Some nice pieces in the collection and all may be covered by your homeowners insurance, contact your agent.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Central Illinois. How wonderful you have your Grandfathers collection with this fine provenance. In the top row, I see two celts left and right of center, These are basically ungrooved axes. The piece right of center in the second row is also a celt. The center piece is a 3/4 grooved axe.  One word of advise, get those out of that frame! Many old time collections have the pieces wired in but over time the wires will cause damage to the flint that greatly will affect value.
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

A very fine collection you have there!
                    Any idea of what happened to the burial capstone?
                    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful info!
                      rmartin wrote:

Welcome to the forum from Central Illinois. How wonderful you have your Grandfathers collection with this fine provenance. In the top row, I see two celts left and right of center, These are basically ungrooved axes. The piece right of center in the second row is also a celt. The center piece is a 3/4 grooved axe.  One word of advise, get those out of that frame! Many old time collections have the pieces wired in but over time the wires will cause damage to the flint that greatly will affect value.

Comment

Very nice collection.  Thanks for sharing it.  So what is the long black point called?        Gary
                        South Dakota

Comment

Thanks for sharing!Love to see stuff like this passed down like it should. Yeah that long black dagger knife/spear? piece is really impressive,was it was broken and re-glued?

Comment

WOW! That is a great collection. With the history and articles I would think they are priceless to you.
                            Thanks for sharing.
                            If you don\'t know what you found...ask

Comment

That made my day. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X