Recent Posts page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMD View Post

Lol, yes, we can keep track of our own recent postings. And yes, we can keep track of all recent postings. In two different areas of the forum, the latter only when we are logged out.
    My recent posts also shows others topics if we replied so decent feature.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
      Try logging out and then back in.
      I logged out from this thread. Took me to home page, Today's Posts at top left. Logged in. Home page with New Topics at top left. So I did not notice anything unusual, Bruce. But, as you know, we have no "go to guy" for any of this anymore. I can see this forum fading completely if there are a whole lot of glitches coming and going all the time. But I don't know what you're referring to here when you say "what happened to New Topics?". I also don't know why you can't load photos. Are you using a computer? I know you have posted full size photos prior, since the move.
      Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm no go to guy???

Charlie it is very frustrating. I normally use my computer to post. And yes I have also been able to post pictures directly from my Phone also. I tested that out when the new forum came online.
      This all started when Roger tried to fix a glitch that kept me from posting in the Kiva. Ever since then I can't upload anything at all And I have tried every way that I know of.This is all that I see at the top of the page on both my computer and my phone now.
      I am also unable to send any private messages to any of the members. I have tried several and this is what I see every time. "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
      Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin".
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Well that didn't go well either. I did a print screen of my home page and when I hit post reply it said error and deleted the print scree.
        So Charlie this is what is at the top of my home page now on both my computer and my phone.

Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

OK, so you lost New Topics and Who's Online. Bummer. I know you've since been back and forth with Roger in your metal detecting thread, without resolution. I wish Roger had not had his administrator permissions removed. Because I believe he would help out in individual cases, especially a very active member. I don't want to change his mind in an overall sense, but dropping back to member status was rash on his part, IMO. Because I do believe he would be able, and willing, to help with this otherwise. Yes, it is frustrating.....
          Rhode Island

Comment

OK, so you lost New Topics and Who's Online. Bummer. I know you've since been back and forth with Roger in your metal detecting thread, without resolution. I wish Roger had not had his administrator permissions removed. Because I believe he would help out in individual cases, especially a very active member. I don't want to change his mind in an overall sense, but dropping back to member status was rash on his part, IMO. Because I do believe he would be able, and willing, to help with this otherwise. Yes, it is frustrating.....
            Again, just to clarify... I initially changed my title to "Member" but left my permissions in place. An Administrator can change his title to anything he likes without losing his permissions. I could have become "Utterly Exasperated " if I had wanted and still retained the permissions. My intention was to discretely use those permissions for the next day or so to leave things in a tidy state (including re-setting Bruce's permissions back to where they were and just testing out some other possible solutions) before completely ducking out.

Since it wasn't my intention to just leave you in the lurch, the offer I left on the table (behind the scenes) was that if the Admin team chose to leave my permissions in place temporarily (so that I could still see the forum set-up), I would certainly continue to help or advise... but not lead. For whatever reason, there was no reply to that offer and my permissions disappeared the next day. I have no idea if that was a conscious decision or happened because someone did something unintentional in the permissions structure... but I didn't "rashly" make that change. I can't now do anything further to help beyond the response I gave on that other thread that someone should try to re-set the 2ndoldman permissions back to how they were (via secondary group assignment) and work logically from there.

I have to point out again that anyone trying to solve this problem would find it a lot easier if all the information (questions/answers/adjustments/testing/feedback) were in one place in a logical sequence. The initial exchange was in "I Need help with the Forum" and then in the "Metal Detecting" category and this post is in "The Sandpit". And this posts was started by someone else in relation to a completely different issue! That's the kind of thing that made it so time-consuming to keep track of and maintain focus on everyone's problems. It's clear from what Bruce says that something is now going on behind the scenes (because he is describing additional problems that weren't there a few days ago) but I have no idea what. I guarantee that this problem is not unique to the way Bruce's account is set, is not actually one single problem, requires more input than just changing the settings in the back end, and will affect other users elsewhere sooner or later unless methodically investigated all the way back to root causes.
            Last edited by painshill; 08-22-2015, 02:59 PM.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with that. I look at I need help daily!

We'll, Roger, I guess why I said that is because I believe it's difficult for you not to help. That it would almost be a natural reflex by now, not quite akin to breathing, but hard to walk away from completely. And I assumed you really could not help at all, which I thought you would regret because helping is natural. Anyway, yeah, it must have something to do with whatever work is going on. And, if form holds, as problems spread, communication will lag. Frustration will grow, per usual. Well, whatever will be, will be. It is only a forum.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie

It may even be that my private messaging doesn't work any more either. Who knows? The last message I had was from Chase, before my permissions disappeared and I replied after they disappeared so he may not have got my reply. I really have absolutely no idea what is going on any more, and if Admins and Moderators are discussing it, I have no visibility of any of that discussion. My permissions are at "ground zero" and I didn't set them there. There's almost nothing I can say in the way of help if I can't see how the permissions structure looks at the moment... but my guess is that it looks nothing like how I left it.

I'll shoot you a private message in a few minutes, and perhaps you could just respond with a "yes" if it reaches you.

Best wishes
              ROGER
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Yes. Good thing I checked. Had another PM as well as yours.
                Rhode Island

Comment

And, of course, now there is no longer a recent post page. Wonderful......
                  Rhode Island

Comment

And, of course, now there is no longer a recent post page. Wonderful......
                    Yep, the site's all over the place (literally), and'll suffer for it in the long run..
                    Last edited by Olden; 09-12-2015, 02:37 AM.
                    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

If your system set-up is being correctly recognised by the forum (and it may not be if you are using a mobile device, have your screen magnification set to more than 100% on some systems or have upgraded to Windows 10) then what you should see is this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Topics.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	173325

There is no such thing as a "Recent Posts" page. The option is called "New Topics" and is not actually a page as such. Clicking on that orange bar option generates the output from a search engine which checks for any topics which you have not viewed (on a real time basis).

The "Latest Activity" tab is also a search engine that operates in the same way. It's only visible when you are actually in a forum "Channel" (ie one of the forum categories) since the search relates to activity in that channel only.

There was an earlier question in this thread asking "what's the point of being able to see the forum when you aren't logged in?" There are several reasons for this. We want casual visitors who aren't registered as members to be able to see what the forum offers in the hope of tempting them to join so that they can then participate; it enables forum content found via a search engine to be seen by both by visitors and members who aren't logged in; it allows members who for some reason have difficulty logging in to see any help/instruction messages on the forum.

Comment

There was a "recent post" page visible only when logged out. Yes, it did exist. I found it/ noticed it when Josh was bemoaning the fact there was no page showing the most recent posts in order, most recent at top, and who made the most recent comment in each thread. It changed once you logged in. But, it most certainly did exist until recently. I have not done any of the things mentioned by Roger that would change the appearance of the page as seen in Roger's screenshot. Yet, my page(s) look nothing like that any more. I know what I am talking about. Until recently, when logged out(and several of us questioned why it was only visible when logged out?!), there was a "recent post" page. It was just what Josh, and others, were hoping for, as many, including me, bookmarked the recent post page on the old forum, so we could see what had transpired since our last visit. The "recent post" page is gone now.

It is not correct to say "there is no such thing as a recent post page." It did exist. There most certainly was "such a thing" and quite a few of us remember that fact, I am sure. I am simply pointing out that there no longer is such a page. There's is no longer a "who's online" tab either. I have done nothing at all. "Who's online" is simply no longer there on iPad.
                        Last edited by CMD; 09-12-2015, 07:36 AM.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Here is a screenshot of my logged in home page on iPad. I did nothing to alter it...... My PC is the same. There are no tabs for "New Topics", "Who's Online", "Mark Channels read", or "Member list". Nor, when logged out, is there a "Recent Post" page. So, neither my PC nor my iPad show the page that Roger sees. And nothing I did altered the page as I see it. To the best of my knowledge at least. Let me add this. The "New Topics" page became the "Recent Posts" page when one logged out. That is how it was working. At the time I discovered that fact, I believe several of us wondered why "Recent Posts" could not remain visible when logged in, since it was so helpful, for some of us, to see the order of recent comments and who made the most recent comment in each thread. That is what the "Recent Post" page provided. It was what was present on the old forum, and some, like JoshinMo really missed it and complained until I was able to find the equivalent page on the new forum. None of this is by way of complaint. Simply pointing out what I know to be a fact. There is no longer a "Recent Posts" page visible when logged out.
                          Last edited by CMD; 09-12-2015, 08:03 AM.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Keep your shirt on Charlie! As I said: "If your system set-up is being correctly recognised by the forum (and it may not be if you are using a mobile device, have your screen magnification set to more than 100% on some systems or have upgraded to Windows 10)". Mobile devices includes iPads. Ron also has this problem:

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...ad-button-gone

Your screen magnification is set too high for the forum's liking, or your device is not being properly recognised (a function of using an iPad in your case) and your screen is "cramped"... so you have missing text. You may not have changed anything, but the forum is not recognising the way your device is set up and giving you information in a format that it cannot display.

You also seem to have another problem that I had a while ago... you have 588 messages, which suggests you are getting a notification every time someone posts anywhere on the forum. If you already have those notifications switched off in your profile, the problems is linked to permissions of Moderators and Administrators in the back end. I couldn't find a way to switch them off and Shane had to do it for me.
                            Last edited by painshill; 09-12-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X