No announcement yet.

Recent Posts page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you visit the forum when not logged in, there is still an option called "Today's Posts" NOT "Recent Posts". You can't see it for exactly the same reason as above. It's a screen magnification/display recognition problem... and it isn't your fault or the result of you having changed anything.

The reason that option has a different title (Today's Posts) is that if you aren't logged in then the search engine cannot interrogate what you have viewed because it doesn't know who you are. The search engine can then only use the date of the posts to generate results (and it's set for "today" as a default)... not whether or not you have viewed them.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hey Charlie, The change happened when the techs added this to the top of the page:

ARTIFACT DEALERS ARTIFACT STORES ARTIFACT EVENTS WE BUY ARROWHEADS ARTIFACT RESOURCES

Edit: It doesn't display properly because it's not text: (Try to highlight it.)
      Last edited by Ron Kelley; 09-12-2015, 08:50 AM.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• painshill
        painshill commented
        Editing a comment
        Well... it is text, but it's probably being displayed via an embedded JavaScript window or something similar, which could explain some of the difficulties.

I have to lower my zoom to 90% to see the items in the orange rectangle. I'm certainly not suggesting that this is a solution.
      Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ron is quite correct. The bar at the top of the forum has now (recently) had more text added to it. That makes the bar longer. If either Ron's or Charlie's setup was correctly recognised by vBulletin then it would automatically shrink that bar so the text fitted neatly on two consecutive lines of their screens. It's likely that vBulletin is not properly recognising either of those setups. In Charlie's case it's probably because he's using an iPad and vBulletin is misidentifying his iOS version. In Ron's case it may be because vbulletin doesn't recognise the Windows 10/Chrome browser combination.

It's not that the features Charlie is describing have "gone"... merely that vBulletin doesn't know how to present the information in a way that will fit properly on his screen. The solution (as Ron says) is not for users to change their setups... except that it's good practice to be reasonably up to date with platform and browser versions (but perhaps not as up to date as Windows 10!). The solution lies with the developers and the forum setup.
        Last edited by painshill; 09-12-2015, 09:04 AM.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

All the tabs, including "Recent Posts"(when logged out), are in fact actually still there. But they are invisible! That's right. If I click about where I think they used to be, the pages load. Even though there are no visible headings. Such as "Who's Online". I cannot see it, but it is there and can be clicked on. And there is still a recent posts page that I can click on as the first heading below the orange bar on the left side, when logged out. Since none of the headings are actually visible, this discovery was entirely by accident. Sure enough, invisible headings beneath the orange bar that I can click on. Still all there, completely invisible.

Edit: logged out, the page is "Today's Posts", not "Recent Posts".
          Last edited by CMD; 09-13-2015, 07:15 AM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Immediately below the heading Artifact Resources at the top of the page is a heading for Recent Posts, visible only when logged out. As noted, it and the other headings below the orange bar are not visible on my iPad or computer. But they can still be clicked on somehow. These screen shots show what one sees if you click on the Recent Post heading. This was the closest thing to the recents page from the old version of the forum. Edit: "Today's Posts", not "Recent Posts"!
            Last edited by CMD; 09-13-2015, 07:16 AM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

I just bookmarked that page while logged out. When I log back in I open the bookmark and I can see all the most recent activity. I will speak with the dev team about this and see if another tab can be added. For now I think the bookmark would work as a work around. I just tested it and it worked just fine for me. Just open the recent posts tab while logged out and bookmark it. Then when you log in that bookmark will automatically update to the most recent posts. I named my bookmark Forum Recent
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
                Keep your shirt on Charlie! As I said: "If your system set-up is being correctly recognised by the forum (and it may not be if you are using a mobile device, have your screen magnification set to more than 100% on some systems or have upgraded to Windows 10)". Mobile devices includes iPads. Ron also has this problem:

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...ad-button-gone

Your screen magnification is set too high for the forum's liking, or your device is not being properly recognised (a function of using an iPad in your case) and your screen is "cramped"... so you have missing text. You may not have changed anything, but the forum is not recognising the way your device is set up and giving you information in a format that it cannot display.

You also seem to have another problem that I had a while ago... you have 588 messages, which suggests you are getting a notification every time someone posts anywhere on the forum. If you already have those notifications switched off in your profile, the problems is linked to permissions of Moderators and Administrators in the back end. I couldn't find a way to switch them off and Shane had to do it for me.
                Ron said he could see it when he reduced to 90% but not higher than that. I have no trouble at all on my lap top and I am running window ten 15 inch monitor and the screen is filled perfectly. But then maybe I need to log in as Spicoli. It may be my rights as an admin that is allowing me to see it and not Ron unless he reduces.

See my suggestion above as to bookmarks it is a work around for now. As you guys know there is plenty being done and a lot moree needing to be done. Keep the info coming. But please put it in the I Need Help section.
                Last edited by Hoss; 09-12-2015, 09:55 PM.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Just in case you think I did not hear you this is what I see Click image for larger version

Name:	should be.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	173423and this is what you guys see Click image for larger version

Name:	the way it is.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	173424

Comment

I will send this over to Shane for review and repair. When I originally saw Ron's post about this he said when he changes his setting he can see it, I figured he had his own problem solved. I was wrong in my assumption. Again simply make bookmarks Charlie if you bookmark that on your PC in google you will still be able to see those bookmarks on your Ipad when using chrome as browsers on both units.

Comment

Hey Charlie, I just checked out the invisible header. That's crazy wild. I get the little pointing hand icon and can move across counting all four invisible topics.
                      Michigan Yooper

Comment

OK, because I can no longer see "Today's Posts", Roger is right. I was remembering it as "Recent Posts". Yeah, Hoss, I can bookmark that page and log in from it. As far as actually seeing the button or tab on the page, well, I don't know what I would have to do with my iPad to achieve that. But, even though the tabs below the orange tab are now invisible, I can still find them, if I even need them.

Generally, I don't use any of those tabs. Sometimes to see who's online. The "Today's Posts" page I don't use often either. I was just noting their disappearance. If it's a question of screen magnification, nothing I can do about that on an iPad. I can activate a "zoom" feature in iPad settings, but that won't help. I can't vary the screen from 100% to 90% on an iPad. At least I don't think I can.

I did confuse "Today's Posts" with "Recent Posts". Logged out, it should read "Today's Posts", and that's the page Hoss bookmarked. Yes, I used to bookmark the forum as the "recent" page on the old forum. Could do the same here if I want. That was the page JoshinMo really wanted. I found it by accident one day, because it took actually noticing that the tab labeled "Today's Posts" was only present when logged out. It took paying attention to even realize that tab changed, depending on whether you were logged in or logged out.

Even last night, while responding, I was in fact wondering, "did that tab say 'Recent Posts', or did it say something else?" It says "Today's Posts". Sorry for THAT bit of confusion, but I could not read the invisible text.

But, I guess the bottom line, with the iPad, I can vary screen magnification with the pc(have not tried yet), is that those tabs near the orange bar will have to remain invisible on the iPad.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
                          Hoss commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If you cannot get the link via your ipad. I can email the link to you you could just click it and bookmark it in your chrome browser.

BTW, I am keeping my shirt on, lol. I just brought it up to note the "Today's Posts" page no longer seemed to be there. Then I noted none of the previous tabs were there any longer. Then I noted oh yes, they were there all along, all of them, but they are invisible. But, I've had my shirt on all along. I could not care less if those tabs are there, or they are not there. I could not care less if I bookmark the "Today's Posts" page to use as a log in doorway, or not. I was just pointing out what I saw. Yes, initially, I did think "well, that's really too bad", because I knew guys like Josh wanted that recent list of comments, but in the big picture, I could not care less whether those tabs are there or not. So, I never removed my shirt over this at all.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
                          Hey Charlie, I just checked out the invisible header. That's crazy wild. I get the little pointing hand icon and can move across counting all four invisible topics.
                          Yep, see, I'm not crazy! Lol....
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Roger, thanks for explaining all that. Appreciate it.
                            Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                            X