Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Havenhunter
    replied
    Congrats on the finds & the lovely weather. Despite rain all day Sunday, we've had a long run of warm sunny weather. Spent all morning out in the fields photographing old barns for a magazine feature. Lovely & upper 60s, 80 later in the week. Thinking about opening up the pool again... 😉

Leave a comment:

• three dawgs
    replied
    Nice hunts on you Bruce.

Leave a comment:

• sailorjoe
    replied
    Hi 2nd OM. Wow! Some very interesting finds and I love those old coins. You cleaned them up well.

Leave a comment:

• tomclark
    replied
    Man that's great!

Leave a comment:

• 2ndoldman
    replied
    I can never find enough old military items to suit me and I did not want to toss this one away.
    So what I did was bake it in the oven for an hour at 400 degrees then I tumbled it to find the edges. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	270189 At this point I almost gave up on it.
    It looked like it had been run over by a steamroller.
    Fearful of working the metal cold (I certainly didn't want to snap it in half) I put it in a pot of boiling water.
    And every so often removed it and gently eased it open bit by bit.
    Considering what it started out as I can live with the small crease that remains.
    And this is definitely the up for the day. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	270190

Made by Birks and dated 1916. Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	270191 Of the 3 keepers from Saturday this is my favorite.
    F O E otherwise know as the Fraternal Order of Eagles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_Order_of_Eagles Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	270192
    Sunday was a long slog let me tell you.
    It took 5 hours before there was a keeper in the pouch. Click image for larger version

Name:	13 (1).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	270193
    It is not the Canadian Militia button I was hoping for.
    But a British general service button from the 1880s will do just fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	13 (2).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	270194
    Well I guess it is time for the money shot. Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	270195
    And one last highlight, just because it is pretty. Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	270196

Leave a comment:

• 2ndoldman
    started a topic Indian summer is almost over here.

Indian summer is almost over here.

It has been a fantastic run of unbelievable weather over the past week and a bit here in Victoria.
    The daily temperatures have been hovering between 15 and 22 degrees Celsius which is 60 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	270180
    During the 7 days of this post I have been averaging around 4 and a half hours of swing time every day.
    Not every day has seen a keeper (Monday and Wednesday were bupkus days) but that makes those days with keepers all that much sweeter.
    This will give you an idea of the types of sites that I hit during the 7 days.
    Monday was the firing line and there were nothing but old shell casings to be found.
    And Sunday was the training range were almost all of the finds were empty training rounds. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	270181 Tuesday was the best day.
    It started out with a surprise and continued onto the best hole of the week.
    The surprise was a fall coloured maple leaf pin that I thought was brass because it was totally brown when it came out.
    You will have to forgive me here.
    Due to having waited far to long to make this post my pictures are just going to showcase the highlights of the week. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	270182 Not 5 minutes after pulling that pin there was a sweet high tone at 6 inches.
    Well the target was buried between two roots, and it took over 5 minutes to extract.
    I mistakenly thought that there was only one target in the hole and continued to wiggle my small digger between the roots until the pinpointer no longer registered the target.
    This is what I first noticed. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	270183 I had laid the pinpointer down to take this picture and when I picked it up it went off as it passed over the discard pile of dirt.
    Well it turned out to be 3 dimes all nestled together between those roots. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	270184Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	270185 Thursday saw the second coin spill.
    This one was not as spectacular as it was only a 46 Canadian dime and a 61 Rosie.
    There was one peculiar find though.
    I have found many different religious pendants before but never one that could be confused with pocket change. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	270186 Friday had its ups and downs.
    The downs were a thimble that turned out to be aluminum and not silver
    And this WWI collar badge.
    Tacoed is one way to describe its condition. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	270187
Working...
X