No announcement yet.

a trusty walking stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of walking softly and carrying a big broom handle. One day I was hiking a dirt trail in a stand of town owned woods. As I walked out into the parking lot, nobody was there but an elderly lady with 2 German Shepards on leashes.  She had a heavy German accent. She saw me, unleashed her dogs, and told them to attack me! For no reason whatsoever! One dog attacks from one side, the other from the other side. I'm whirling in circles, bashing first one on the head, spin around in time to whack the other one charging. And this goes on while I'm screaming "Are you out of your mind, get these #*€*¥## dogs off me!!!" I was real lucky as I could not keep it up much longer before she finally called them off. Even with those 2 beasts standing by her side, I did not hold back my opinion of her. Still to this day wish I had followed her home and called the cops on her. But, her age and accent, I actually wondered if maybe in her youth she had survived the death camps or something.
    Anyway, walk softly, but carry a BIG stick :laugh:
    Rhode Island

Comment

hmy: wow! charlie id hate to see you on the warpath!!imagine if ya had a big spike on the end like mine. maybe she wouldnt have let them dogs go after all!   well someone of your caliber deserves a worthy sidearm check out my pics, one for you and one for helen.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

[QUOTE]Bone2stone wrote:

[quote=CMD post=88308]
        Originally posted by OnewiththewilD post=88238
        :cheer: thanks for all the posts everyone! once again charlie ,your the man! hopefully ill be able to post my own photos soon. the last 2 are pics of a spear i had made using all natural materials
          Woops, removed those last 2 photos. No wonder I don't remember a spear at the end of your stick :rolf:
        Great thread, Jay!!
        And super walking and hunting sticks everyone. I'll confess now   I've used the same ole broom handle for 20+ years. Originally had a nail in the end to help pry, but not in years. I'll skip photos, you guys know what a broom handle looks like :lol:
          Might like to show my wife what one looks like..................
        Jess B.
          :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:  Now that is funny Jessy.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I like to use this walking stick when the competition gets too intense. You don't have to swing it: Simply lay it in the grass and shake a rattle.

Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

CMD wrote:

Speaking of walking softly and carrying a big broom handle. One day I was hiking a dirt trail in a stand of town owned woods. As I walked out into the parking lot, nobody was there but an elderly lady with 2 German Shepards on leashes.  She had a heavy German accent. She saw me, unleashed her dogs, and told them to attack me! For no reason whatsoever! One dog attacks from one side, the other from the other side. I'm whirling in circles, bashing first one on the head, spin around in time to whack the other one charging. And this goes on while I'm screaming "Are you out of your mind, get these #*€*¥## dogs off me!!!" I was real lucky as I could not keep it up much longer before she finally called them off. Even with those 2 beasts standing by her side, I did not hold back my opinion of her. Still to this day wish I had followed her home and called the cops on her. But, her age and accent, I actually wondered if maybe in her youth she had survived the death camps or something.
              Wow - nothing like being attacked by big dogs for a quick reality check! Glad you were ok! I cycle (100 mile days occasionally), and while it's not practical to carry a walking stick, I have considered buying an electric cattle prod to greet the snarling darlings with - complacency has it place, but having a backup plan is smart. Here's a link to an unlucky cycling tourer (slightly graphic) http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p...id=273087&v=7K  May the force be with you!
            If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:

I like to use this walking stick when the competition gets too intense. You don't have to swing it: Simply lay it in the grass and shake a rattle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n221923[/ATTACH]
              I like that!
              Attached Files
              If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

mr. kelly,  what type of wood is that?  around here we have an invasive vine called oriental bittersweet, it grows massive and twists and bends just like that.it drys out pretty good  but isnt too strong.just curious , its a cool lookin stick. i know black locust grows like that as well.

Comment

CMD wrote:

Yikes Charlie! That's scary! Glad ya made it through that one ok. A big stick is good, but one that goes "bang" would have been justified in that scenario! I wonder why she would do something like that?
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

hmy:  :huh:  :crazy:  :evil:  :rolf:  :rolf:  :rolf:

Comment

charlie-jutsu....no can defend danial san.

Comment

Hey Wild we don't have vines here in the U.P. That's a stick of Ironwood. It just grew strange.
                        Ron
                        Michigan Yooper
                        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

ive read about ironwood, i know it also goes by another name, just cant remember, but i know it lives up to its name. very cool stick mr.kelly B)

Comment

American Hornbeam  . this link has a picture of what we called Iron Wood in Connecticut. Yup its American Hornbeam I read once they call it Muscle wood too.
                            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

hornbeam! thanks hoss, i know ive read about it because the natives used it to make ballheaded warclubs with.

Comment

i"ll put some pics on my page of a ballheaded warclub i made out of a maple rootstock. its a snake bitein" the ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X